Energy system model development
With a long background in energy system modelling and more specifically in the TIMES framework, we can support in development of new and existing TIMES models.
In energy system models the data input and result structure and management are important. Therefore, we focus on developing tools that optimises this process making it simpler and faster to update or change the datasets. Likewise, we also work on making results available in an open and easy access approach, similar to https://comets.tokni.com.
Advises on CO2 reductions, energy system and policy development
We work with connecting the management and policy makers with the technicians and experts in the fields of energy and climate through our advises, models and workshops.
We can provide advisory support for the creation of climate and energy strategies, using model results to calculate CO2 reduction pathways, as well as sensitivity analysis of these. This is ideal for governmental institutions such as agencies, political parties or municipalities. Furthermore, we can support in designing policies with a full evaluation in the energy system models, calculating the costs and CO2 reductions from set policy. The benefit of using such models is the possibility to evaluate the cross-sectoral policies and sector coupling.
Carbon reduction scenarios
We provide detailed analysis of the energy system transition to become renewable based, for instance: what pathways to the Danish target of 70 % GHG reductions in 2030 and 100 % reduction by 2050 would align with the Paris Agreement? and which sectors/sub sectors are required to support the transition faster?
Assessment of energy technologies
For new and developing energy technologies, it is important to know the potential of these in the future energy system and establish key parameters of these new technologies in order to compare them with existing technologies. Therefore, we provide external assessment of new technologies for implementation into technology catalogues and analysis of future potentials.
We can support with the technology catalogue part by:
- Collecting technology data including tests and demo plant experience
- Providing technology description in Technology Catalogue format
- Providing technology description in table format
For the analysis, we can help with:
- Assessing the potential for the technology on various regional levels e.g. Denmark/Nordics/Europe
- Determining how the technology fit into the future energy system of e.g. Denmark – using TIMES-DK as an explorative system model
- Improving TIMES-DK to better represent specific technologies and assessing where it can be utilised
- Providing a detailed analysis of potential – which processes can the technology be combined with e.g. P2X, low-high temp. heat pumps, electric vehicles
- Determining the requirements to the technology development (learning curve) for it to play a significant role in the future energy system
- Scenarios illustrating in which sectors and purposes the technology potentially can be a solutions in the transition of the energy system
Workshops: sector or energy system
The workshop approach, Model Lab, is inspired by war room facilities: If you want results, gather the right people in the same room and give them access to all the relevant information.
Workshops can be held using any of our modelling tools (https://energymodellinglab.com/models-and-tools/) and the focus can be on specific sectors or the whole energy system. Especially the TIMES-DK model is prepared for creating scenarios using Model Lab Workshops.
A typical 1 day workshop would have the following agenda:
- Discuss targets
- Find policies that can realise the targets
- Translate found policies to parameters in the energy model
- Run model creating future scenarios (lunch break)
- Visualise results and discuss
- Revise policies
We have found that having model results prepared and ready within the workshops, provide a deeper knowledge and understanding of the policies or strategies.
Presentations and educational material on energy and climate
We have a history of providing presentations and speeches on climate and energy today and in the future.
We can make tailored courses for companies and organisations and we are open to discuss ideas on courses. As inspiration, we have been teaching on the energy system courses during our time at DTU:
- Modelling and Analysis of sustainable energy systems using operations research (MScEng)
- National energy system modelling with TIMES (MScEng)
- Introduction to Balmorel (PhD/professionals)
- Energy systems analysis and scenarios (MScEng)
We are currently working on providing educational material for Danish high schools through a platform in our project: KAOS – Klima ambitioner om samfundet.